There comes a time in every homeowner’s life when they have to replace their gutters. Your gutters will tell you in no uncertain terms when they are in need of replacement by showing various signals and behaviors. Let’s take a look at some warning signs to look for, along with some maintenance tips to follow to ensure they last for as long as possible.
Through regular inspections of your gutters, ideally in both spring and fall, you should keep an eye out for these warning signs. If you happen to notice these things, your gutters could be in serious need of repair or replacement.
- Leaking water in the basement
- Mold in basement or crawlspace
- Pooling water at the foundation
- Cracks in foundation
- Standing water in gutters or at base of downspout
- Bent, dented or rusted gutters
- Gutters with holes or cracks in them
- Gutters that fail to drain properly
- Sagging gutters that pull away from the home
- Wood is rotting or paint is peeling on the home
- Gaps between gutter joints
- Loose nails or fasteners on the ground below
- Formation of water channels or soil erosion
To prevent the above from happening and extend the life of your gutter system, follow some basic maintenance procedures to ensure your gutters are free from clogs, are placed correctly and follow proper drainage. With well-maintained gutters, you can rest easy knowing you’re doing your part to keep your home safe and functioning well. Check out these maintenance tips that you should keep in mind:
- Scoop out debris from your gutters on a regular basis
- Invest in clog-free gutters
- Invest in a splash block at the bottom of your downspouts to prevent soil erosion and water channeling.
- Use a pressure washer to keep your gutters clean and get the built-up grime off them. Use a low setting and avoid spraying upwards so you don’t damage your shingles.
- Make sure your gutters are properly secured to the home with screws and spikes. Check them regularly to make sure they are properly attached. Unsecured gutters can pose a safety threat.
If you think you may need gutter replacement, or perhaps you’re not sure, contact us for a free LeafGuard® Brand Gutter estimate.