Winter Cleaning Checklist for Cabin Fever Sufferers
It’s freezing outside, and let’s face it–winter is just getting started. We have a long way to go before we see warmer days. When the weather gets cold, and it gets dark early, it can be easy to go into hibernation mode. We all do it. But maybe there’s an opportunity when it’s too cold to go outside? At LeafGuard, we like to think those long stretches of less-than-ideal weather are an opportunity for homeowners to get a jump start on that spring cleaning that is just around the corner. We have a room-by-room checklist of deep cleaning suggestions to get you started. When spring arrives, you’ll have so much less cleaning to do if you start early.
The bathroom is one of those all important rooms that need deep cleaning frequently; you probably know what you need to do. It’s good to start your room-by-room deep clean with the bathroom because it’s the smallest room; you’ll get done quick and can move on. We’ll start our checklist with some of the more obvious deep cleaning suggestions, and work our way to some tips you may not have thought about.
- Clean and disinfect sink, countertops, shower/bath, and toilet using a cleaner containing bleach
- Mop floors
- Wash all bath mats, dirty hand towels, shower curtain and liners
- Clean mirrors
- Organize medicine cabinets and any linen closets
- Scrub/reseal tile grout
- Fill a bag with white vinegar and tie it around the shower head. Leave overnight, and it will run like new next time you use it!
You might need a few extra hands on deck when you are deep cleaning the kitchen because there are lots of heavy duty cleaning tasks in this room. Yes, cleaning the kitchen can be difficult, but you’ll be so happy once it’s done. Recruit a helper, roll those sleeves up, and get cleaning.
- Clean and disinfect all appliances: fridge/freezer (also throw any expired or freezer burned food), microwave, and oven
- Move the fridge and oven to vacuum and mop behind
- Vacuum coils on fridge (this will help your fridge run better)
- Remove all cupboard contents, wipe cupboards inside and out, and reorganize contents
- Vacuum and mop floor (wax if necessary)
- Clean food trap in dishwasher
- Disinfect sink and countertops
Bedrooms are often spaces where clutter and mess can easily hide. Break this habit! You’ll relax and rest easier at night if your bedroom is clean. You’ll love going to bed once your bedroom has been deep cleaned.
- Wash all bedroom linens including: sheets, mattress pad, duvet covers, pillow shams, and curtains/drapery
- Rotate mattress
- Clean mattress by mixing lavender oil and baking soda–sprinkle over mattress and vacuum up after one hour
- Dust all surfaces, decorative items, and blinds
- Clean windows
- Go through closet and dressers, donate unused or ill-fitting items, and reorganize
When we’re talking about living spaces, we mean living/family rooms, dining rooms, hallways, entryways, etc. These make up the most square footage of your house, and it will take a while to work all the way through these areas. If you take your time and do this little by little, you’ll be done in no time!
- Vacuum all flooring
- Mop all hard surfaces and shampoo all carpets
- Wipe down walls
- Clean all trim, baseboards (dryer sheets work well for this!), window frames, and door skirting
- Dust all surfaces, decorative items, picture frames, lamps, and electronics
- Clean windows
- Vacuum out all couch and armchair crevices
- Wash all throw pillows, blankets, and curtains/drapery
Phew! That was a lot of cleaning! At LeafGuard, we know that cleaning can be a burden. Let us help you take some of your chores away. Check out our maintenance-free gutters, and never clean a gutter again! You can put all the time and energy you would typically put into cleaning and maintaining gutters into your home’s interior.